Monday, October 25, 2010

Butterflies, Butterflies, Everywhere Butterflies in Pismo Beach


When I originally looked in to taking a road trip to Pismo Beach, I thought, beach town and clam digging. What else could there be? Of course I indulged into a delicious bowl of clam chowder and fried clams at Spash Cafe. As I did more reseach, I found out that Pismo Beach is also the winter home to monarch butterflies.

I'd heard about the monarch butterfly migration, but didn't know the details. Have always thought butterflies were pretty cool. Why not check it out? Oh my! As I walked to this little grove, I was absolutely breathless at the number of monarch butterflies that fluttered about. This little grove is their home from November to January.

I should forewarn you that the weather is a major indicator as to how many butterflies you will see. I've been a few times, and when there is a cold snap, the butterflies tend to hover and hang in the trees. My guess is to help keep each other warm. I'm really not sure. However, I've also been when it was sunny and the temperature moderate and the butterflies were everywhere. Either way, the Monarch Grove in Pismo Beach is a MUST see! 


1 comment:

  1. I remember you taking me to see the butterflies! Wow! That was a LONG time ago!

    ReplyDelete