Sunday, October 24, 2010

Feet go to the Beach. . . Waimea Bay


As this is my first post for the Traveling Feet, I thought I'd start with the picture that started my feet's photographic debut. This picture was taken at Waimea Bay, which is on the North Shore of O'ahu. . . one of my favorite beaches.

In the winter, Waimea is known for surf and The Quiksilver Big Wave Invitational in Memory of Eddie Aikau. For those not familiar, the surf must be at least 20' high at Waimea, because of this, the tournament has only been held about seven times (thanks Wikipedia). It's amazing to just sit on the beach and watch the surfers paddle out and attempt to catch waves.



In the summer, this beach is popular not just for it's crystal clear waters, but for the rock or for those back home, "da rock." I have many childhood memories jumping off this rock. I can still remember all of the emotions from my first jump. ANXIOUS ANTICIPATION waiting for the jump, FEAR of the unknown, RELIEF once I splashed and hit the sandy bottom and, of course, the THRILL of swimming back to shore only to climb back up the rock and jump again.


What's always amazed me about the rock is in the summer the rock appears rather large and protrudes out of the ocean. In the winter, you're lucky to see the very top of the rock because the waves are so big. If you've never been, you must go. Just remember to always be safe when swimming as Waimea is known for an undertow. Respect the beach.

1 comment: