Sunday, October 24, 2010

Time for Apple Picking in Julian, CA

The months of September and October in Southern California make me think of apple picking. I've always heard wonderful things about Julian and yummy apple pies. This year I called some friends and decided to head south to Julian. The weather was a bit cold and gray, but the company was enjoyable and Julian was as charming as I had imagined.


As we drove in to town, I rolled down the car windows and we were welcomed with the scent of something baking. . . APPLE PIE!!! I did some research online (gotta love Yelp) as I wanted to know what others had to say about the best apple pie in Julian. Decided to give the Julian Pie Company a try and I'm sure glad we did! They have a wonderful assortment of pies. One friend ordered the strawberry rhubarb. . . yum! Another had the mixed berry. . . also yum! I went traditional and had dutch apple with cinnamon icecream . . . YUM! I decided to share some of this yum-ness and bought some Cider Spiced Donut Holes and Apple Nut Loafs to share with co-workers and family.


As I said, we went to Julian to pick apples. Apple picking we did. Many of the orchards were already closed for the season, but we got lucky at the Raven Hill Orchard. For $10 I was able to walk through the orchards and pick my very own apples. Across from the orchard, was the J. Jenkins Winery, for $5 we were able to taste some local wine, including an apple wine and an apple port.  


And, my true travel fashion, I must save something that will entice me to return. I will return to Julian to try the apple delectables at Mom's Pie House. I decided to take a picture of the baked apple to remind me of my return visit. Next trip will be in the spring to see the daffodils.

No comments:

Post a Comment